Streetcar named Desire
If the Tampa Streetcar is so important to tourism, why isn’t it being fully supported by the tax on hotel rooms?
Likewise, if it is so good for economic development, why isn’t money being diverted from the tax dollars now going to the Tampa-Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation?
Disney World and Busch Gardens have been successful in building rail lines for the express amusement of riders. Municipalities on the other hand build rail to meet an existing need of the public to get from one place to another such as from home to work.
Tampa has to decide whether it is an amusement park or a region serious about doing business, and spend accordingly.
<IMHO> Fred Jacobsen
- Indestructable Cincinnati Streetcar Faces Another Foe (streetsblog.net)
- The return of streetcars to San Diego….more to come. (johnwilliamsonsd.wordpress.com)
- High speed rail to enable faster travel on Florida holidays | British Airways – Travel Industry News (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- HART Chairman Kevin Beckner OK’s Property Tax Increase (your-story.org)
- Spadina streetcar derails at College (cbc.ca)
- Woman taken to hospital after crash with streetcar (thestar.com)
- No desire for city Streetcar project (eveningtimes.co.uk)