What would Susan say?
So, our lawmakers in Tallahassee are pushing a new law that would allow 51% of (voting) parents to have a chronically failing school closed and reopened as a private for-profit charter school?
Legislators and parents should take note of what famous Republican Susan B. Anthony said on the subject:
“If all the rich and all of the church people should send their children to the public schools they would feel bound to concentrate their money on improving these schools until they met the highest ideals.”
Anthony was a key player in passage of the 19th Amendment, getting women the right to vote.
I doubt she envisioned women voting to close public schools rather than to fix them.
<IMHO> Fred Jacobsen
- American Heroes~SUSAN B. ANTHONY (1820-1906)~by rldubour (ourpoetrycorner.wordpress.com)
- Florida policymakers trying to privatize entire state public school system (americablog.com)
- Code for America : Susan B. Anthony, 1873, Accessibility Expert [Image] (scaryideas.com)
- Critics say ‘parent trigger’ bill favors charters over public schools (tampabay.com)
- Do You “Compare to” or “Compare with” Something? (usingtherightwords.wordpress.com)
- Charter Schools, What’s the Fuss About? (engagingideas.wordpress.com)
- The Dangerous Nexus of Cyber Charter Schools & For-Profit Curriculum Companies (speedofcreativity.org)