Successful education is no secret
If it’s no secret “How the World’s Most Improved School Systems Keep Getting Better” – why is it that little Johnny still can’t read; or write, or cipher?
How many studies, books, articles, theses, dissertations, lectures and curriculum have been produced claiming knowledge of the secret of universal public education?
It is no secret to any classroom instructor which students are not “getting it”.
But is seems that only the most gifted teachers and the most responsive schools are able to match up each individual learning need with the proper individual learning modality, as well as identify and deal with extra-curricular learning impediments.
Classrooms are not populated by widgets, taught rote by machines.
In an egalitarian society such as ours, we can only claim to treat everyone the same, when we treat everyone differently.
If we can’t do that with the entrenched educational system we have now, start over.
Start with Johnny.
- prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding?
- prefer using sound and music?
- prefer using words, both in speech and writing?
- prefer using body, hands and sense of touch?
- prefer using logic, reasoning and systems?
- prefer to learn in groups or with other people?
- prefer to work alone and use self-study?
- free of learning disorders?
- free of mental defect?
- injured or ill?
- have low self-esteem?
- lacking language or other basic skills?
- lacking a supportive home environment?
<IMHO> Fred Jacobsen
- No Public Education, No Democracy! by Simone Harris (classroomconscious.wordpress.com)
- What’s Happening in America’s Public Education System? (prweb.com)
- Author Donald P. Lade’s Eye-Opening Exposé on the Quality of American Public Education Will Grace the 2011 Illinois Library Association Book Exhibit (prweb.com)
- About Education … (thoughtsandme.wordpress.com)
- More Fail… (maddmedic.wordpress.com)
- Life of Socrates (espliego.wordpress.com)
- No place for fear in classroom (thehindu.com)